Excellent research group:
Welcome! I am Petr Janský, the director of the CORPTAX research group at the Institute of Economic Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University, Prague, Czechia. We aim to establish how much multinational corporations pay in taxes, to what extent these taxes are paid in tax havens, and which factors drive these patterns. Ultimately, we aim to use theoretical, methodological and empirical innovations to transform the understanding of corporate taxation in a globalised world. We are an international team of researchers collaborating with leading academics worldwide as well as influential international organisations. CORPTAX has been funded by various research grants, including since January 2021 by the Czech Science Foundation (21-05547M).
Selected research in progress:
- Firm behaviour and tax reforms: evidence from administrative data
- To what extent taxation affects investment and why
- How tax avoidance affects inequality
All of my publications are listed in my CV, Scholar Google and Charles University pages.
In addition to research (this page), I (About) enjoy advising doctoral students (Teaching) and contributing to policy debates in Europe and the world (Impact) as well as in Czechia (Česky (in Czech)).
Selected recent working papers:
- Tuinsma, T., Witte, K. D., Janský, P., Palanský, M., & Titl, V. Effects of Corporate Transparency on Tax Avoidance: Evidence from Country-by-Country Reporting. Working Papers IES, (4/2023), 1–27. https://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/sci/publication/show/id/6735/lang/en
- Garcia-Bernardo, J., Janský, P., & Zucman, G. (2022). Did the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Reduce Profit Shifting by US Multinational Companies? NBER working paper #30086 http://gabriel-zucman.eu/files/GBJZ2022.pdf
- Bilicka, K., Dubinina, E., & Janský, P. (2022). Fiscal consequences of corporate tax avoidance (WIDER Working Paper No. 2022/97). World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER). https://www.wider.unu.edu/publication/fiscal-consequences-corporate-tax-avoidance
- Garcia-Bernardo, Haberly, Janský, Palanský, and Secchini (2022). The indirect effects of corporate tax avoidance exacerbate cross-country inequality, 2022, UNU-WIDER working paper. https://www.wider.unu.edu/sites/default/files/Publications/Working-paper/PDF/wp2022-33-indirect-costs-corporate-tax-avoidance-exacerbate-cross-country-inequality.pdf
- Janský, P., Palanská, T., & Palanský, M. (2022). Hide-seek-hide? The effects of financial secrecy on cross-border financial assets. World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER). https://www.wider.unu.edu/publication/hide%E2%80%93seek%E2%80%93hide-effects-financial-secrecy-cross-border-financial-assets
- Dubinina, E., Garcia-Bernardo, J., & Janský, P. (2022). The excess profits during Covid-19 and their tax revenue potential. IES Working Paper. https://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/sci/publication/show/id/6630/lang/en
- Godar, S., Aliprandi, G., Faccio, T., & Janský, P. (2022). The long way to tax transparency: lessons from the early publishers of country-by-country reports. EU Tax Observatory, 2022(10). https://www.taxobservatory.eu/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/WP10_The-Long-Way-To-Tax-Transparency_December2022.pdf
- Garcia-Bernardo, J., & Janský, P. (2021). Profit Shifting of Multinational Corporations Worldwide. Working Papers IES, (14/2021), 1–76. https://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/sci/publication/show/id/6432/lang/en
Selected recent publications:
- Garcia-Bernardo, J., Janský, P., & Tørsløv, T. (2022). Decomposing Multinational Corporations’ Declining Effective Tax Rates. IMF Economic Review, 70(2), 338–381. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41308-022-00157-9
- Cobham, A., Faccio, T., Garcia-Bernardo, J., Janský, P., Kadet, J., & Picciotto, S. (2022). A Practical Proposal to end Corporate Tax Abuse: METR, a Minimum Effective Tax Rate for Multinationals. Global Policy, 13(1), 18–33. https://doi.org/10.1111/1758-5899.13029
- Hackett, F., & Janský, P. (2022). Incremental improvement: Evaluating the emancipatory impact of public country-by-country reporting. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 102525. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpa.2022.102525
- Janský, P. (2022). Corporate Effective Tax Rates for Research and Policy. Public Finance Review, 10911421221137204. https://doi.org/10.1177/10911421221137203
- Janský, P., Meinzer, M., & Palanský, M. (2022). Is Panama really your tax haven? Secrecy jurisdictions and the countries they harm. Regulation & Governance, 16(3), 673–704. https://doi.org/10.1111/rego.12380
- Garcia-Bernardo, J., Janský, P., & Tørsløv, T. (2021). Multinational corporations and tax havens: evidence from country-by-country reporting. International Tax and Public Finance, 28(6), 1519–1561. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10797-020-09639-w
- Janský, P., Láznička, J., & Palanský, M. (2021). Tax treaties worldwide: Estimating elasticities and revenue foregone. Review of International Economics, 29(2), 359–401. https://doi.org/10.1111/roie.12515
- Cobham, A., & Janský, P. (2020). Estimating Illicit Financial Flows: A Critical Guide to the Data, Methodologies, and Findings. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oso/9780198854418.001.0001
- Janský, P., Palanský, M. 2019. Estimating the Scale of Profit Shifting and Tax Revenue Losses Related to Foreign Direct Investment. International Tax and Public Finance, 26(5), 1048-1103. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10797-019-09547-8
- Estimating illicit financial flows: A critical guide to the data, methodologies and findings, Oxford University Press, 2020, with Alex Cobham (PDF).