A new research project:
CORPTAX aims to establish how much multinational corporations pay in taxes, to what extent these taxes are paid in tax havens, and which factors drive these patterns. The five-year-long project was launched in January 2021 and is funded by the Czech Science Foundation.
A preliminary draft: Did the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Reduce Profit Shifting by US Multinational Companies?, 2021, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Gabriel Zucman.
And a new working paper: Profit Shifting of Multinational Corporations Worldwide, 2021, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo. (Financial Times, Twitter.)
Recent academic journal publications:
- Is Panama really your tax haven? Secrecy jurisdictions and the countries they harm, Regulation & Governance, 2021, with Markus Meinzer and Miroslav Palanský. (WP).
- Multinational Corporations and Tax Havens: Evidence from Country-by-Country Reporting, International Tax and Public Finance, 2021, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Thomas Tørsløv. (The latest version; WP).
- Tax Treaties Worldwide: Estimating Elasticities and Revenue Foregone, Review of International Economics, 2021, with Jan Láznička and Miroslav Palanský. (The latest version; WP).
- An evaluation of the effects of the European Commission’s proposals for the Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base, Transnational Corporations, 28(1), 29, with Alex Cobham, Chris Jones and Yama Temouri. (WP)
- Corporate profit misalignment: Evidence from German headquarter companies and their foreign affiliates, Post-Communist Economies, 2020, with Sarah Godar. (WP).
- The Costs of Tax Havens: Evidence from Industry-Level Data, Applied Economics, forthcoming. (WP.)
- European Banks and Tax Havens: Evidence from Country-by-Country Reporting, Applied Economics, forthcoming. (WP).
- Estimating the scale of profit shifting and tax revenue losses related to foreign direct investment, International Tax and Public Finance, 2019, with Miroslav Palanský.
- Estimating the Revenue Costs of Tax Treaties in Developing Countries, World Economy, 2019, with Marek Šedivý.
- Measuring Misalignment: The Location of US Multinationals’ Economic Activity versus the Location of their Profits, Development Policy Review, 2019, with Alex Cobham.
- The Poor outside the Lamplight: On the Prevalence of Poverty among Population Groups Not Included in Household Surveys, Post-Communist Economies, 2019, with Matěj Bajgar and Klára Kalíšková.
- Global distribution of revenue loss from corporate tax avoidance: re-estimation and country results, Journal of International Development, 2018, with Alex Cobham.
Recent working papers:
- A Practical Proposal to End Corporate Tax Abuse: METR, a Minimum Effective Tax Rate for Multinationals, 2021, IES Working Papers. with Alex Cobham, Tomasso Faccio, Javier Garcia-Bernardo, Jeffrey Kadet, and Sol Picciotto.
- Common Agricultural Policy Beneficiaries: Evidence of Inequality from a New Data Set, 2021, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Vojtěch Mišák.
- Improving the Corruption Perceptions Index: Additional Data Sources and Their Effects, 2021, IES Working Paper, with Natalia Li.
- Corporate Effective Tax Rates for Research and Policy, 2020, IES Working Paper.
- Multinational Corporations’ Effective Tax Rates: Evidence from Orbis, 2020, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Thomas Tørsløv. (Effective tax rates for multinational enterprises in the EU, a related policy paper for Greens/EFA group in the European parliament, 2019.)
- Decomposing Multinational Corporations’ Declining Effective Tax Rates, 2019, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Thomas Tørsløv.
- The Progress of Global Financial Transparency: Evidence from The Financial Secrecy Index 2009–2018, 2019, IES Working Paper, with Miroslav Palanský.
- How Do Regional Price Levels Affect Income Inequality? Household-Level Evidence from 21 Countries, Luxembourg Income Study Working Paper, 2018, with Marek Šedivý.
Selected research in progress:
- On the Effects of Financial Secrecy, with Tereza Palanská and Miroslav Palanský.
- European Public Procurement and Tax Havens, with Miroslav Palanský and Jiří Skuhrovec (see also TenderHaven.eu).
- Illicit Financial Flows and Trade Mispricing: Systematic Pricing Patterns in International Trade, with Alex Cobham and Jan Mareš.
- Transparency just for show? Evaluating country-by-country reporting data in the extractive industries, with Saila Stausholm and Marek Šedivý.
- The Most Important Tax Havens and the Role of Intermediaries, with Miroslav Palanský.
Book (February 2020):
- Estimating illicit financial flows: A critical guide to the data, methodologies and findings, Oxford University Press, 2020, with Alex Cobham (PDF).
All my research publications are listed in my CV.