Book (February 2020):
- Estimating illicit financial flows: A critical guide to the data, methodologies and findings, Oxford University Press, 2020, with Alex Cobham (PDF).
Recent academic journal publications:
- The Costs of Tax Havens: Evidence from Industry-Level Data, Applied Economics, forthcoming. (IES working paper version.)
- Estimating the scale of profit shifting and tax revenue losses related to foreign direct investment, International Tax and Public Finance, 2019, with Miroslav Palanský.
- Estimating the Revenue Costs of Tax Treaties in Developing Countries, World Economy, 2019, with Marek Šedivý.
- Measuring Misalignment: The Location of US Multinationals’ Economic Activity versus the Location of their Profits, Development Policy Review, 2019, with Alex Cobham.
- The Poor outside the Lamplight: On the Prevalence of Poverty among Population Groups Not Included in Household Surveys, Post-Communist Economies, 2019, with Matěj Bajgar and Klára Kalíšková.
- Global distribution of revenue loss from corporate tax avoidance: re-estimation and country results, Journal of International Development, 2018, with Alex Cobham.
Recent working papers:
- Decomposing Multinational Corporations’ Declining Effective Tax Rates, 2019, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Thomas Tørsløv.
- The Progress of Global Financial Transparency: Evidence from The Financial Secrecy Index 2009–2018, 2019, IES Working Paper, with Miroslav Palanský.
- Tax Treaties Worldwide: Estimating Elasticities and Revenue Foregone, 2019, IES Working Paper, with Jan Láznička.
- Multinational Corporations’ Effective Tax Rates: Evidence from Orbis, forthcoming, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Thomas Tørsløv. (Effective tax rates for multinational enterprises in the EU, a related policy paper for Greens/EFA group in the European parliament, 2019.)
- Multinational Corporations and Tax Havens: Evidence from Country-by-Country Reporting, 2019, IES Working Paper, with Javier Garcia-Bernardo and Thomas Tørsløv.
- European Banks and Tax Havens: Evidence from Country-by-Country Reporting, IES Working Paper, 2018.
- How Do Regional Price Levels Affect Income Inequality? Household-Level Evidence from 21 Countries, Luxembourg Income Study Working Paper, 2018, with Marek Šedivý.
- Is Panama Really Your Tax Haven? Secrecy Jurisdictions and the Countries They Harm, 2018, IES Working Paper, with Markus Meinzer and Miroslav Palanský.
Selected research in progress:
- Effective Tax Rates of Multinational Corporations in Low- and Middle-Income Countries, with Kim Clausing and Javier Garcia-Bernardo.
- On the Effects of Financial Secrecy, with Tereza Palanská and Miroslav Palanský.
- European Public Procurement and Tax Havens, with Miroslav Palanský and Jiří Skuhrovec (see also TenderHaven.eu).
- Illicit Financial Flows and Trade Mispricing: Systematic Pricing Patterns in International Trade, with Alex Cobham and Jan Mareš.
- Transparency just for show? Evaluating country-by-country reporting data in the extractive industries, with Saila Stausholm and Marek Šedivý.
- The Most Important Tax Havens and the Role of Intermediaries, with Miroslav Palanský.
All my papers are listed in my CV.